Sunday, December 24, 2006

Funky Feet

I am at work right now. I am in the middle of a 6 day stretch of lots of overtime and double shifts. I don't mind though because I am going to have a fucking fierce paycheck in two weeks.

Anyhoo, I have started to finalize my New Year's plans. I will probably be heading to Boystown this year with Jorgillo. I say "probably" becuase a "New Year's Eve Curse" has seemed to always follow me. Last year it missed me so lets hope it forgot about me this year too! So, it occurred to me that I haven't discussed my favorite DANCE TRACKS of 2006! I highly recommend that wherever you are this New Year's Eve that you 'turn it up' and shake what your mama gave ya with these songs:


iio - "Is It Love": Holy shit. This was probably my favorite song of the year. It topped Billboard's dance charts this past fall and rightly so! This single was taken from iio's 4 year delayed album which had already spawned 5 other singles before this one. The chorus is so unbelievably infectious yet so simple. However it is Nadia Ali's haunting vocal delivery that makes this song so memorable.


Ultra Naté - "Love's The Only Drug": I absolutely ADORE this woman! She is living proof that dance artists are capable of not only creating hit singles but cohesive and brilliant albums too. This song is currently #2 on Billboard's dance charts and marks the return of Ultra after a 4 year hiatus. She has done a few random tracks here and there but this song is officially kicking off her soon to be released new album "Grime Silk Thunder". The song, a cool smoothed out electro romp, is a departure from her usual soulful house sound. Ultra sounds sexy and after 17 years in the business she is looking better than ever! (I bought the 12" single JUST for the artwork!)


Offer Nissim featuring Maya - "First Time/On My own" Offer Nissim and Maya are a brilliant combination. "First Time" and its b-side, "On My Own", were probably the two songs I heard the most the entire year. Such longevity and heavy rotation says alot in the dance community where the hottest songs are quickly replaced by something new in the blink of an eye.


Madonna - "Sorry" Madonna continued to keep the disco ball turning with this exquisite dancefloor ditty earlier this year. This song was probably my favorite from her album and was the only "Confessions On A Dancefloor" single to get a GOOD remix. The Pet Shop Boys added some extra vocals making this a dancefloor essential.


Shapeshifters - "Incredible": The Shapshifters or Shape:UK, whatever you want to call them, followed up their mega hits from last year, "Back To Basics" and "Lola's Theme" with this slice of neo-disco vocal house. This is one of those happy feel good songs that can brighten up the gloomiest day.


Paris Hilton - "Turn It Up": This is the only song I have picked that isn't a dance song in its original form. That's because the original version is a dire piece of shit. Fortunately Paris was wise enough to let Peter Rauhofer work his magic. His two remixes turned this song into a slutty after hours dancefloor anthem.

yeah, that's hot!

2 Comments:

Blogger musicbeing said...

I liked the orig. version of "Turn it up"! It was godawful. Where's your sense of fun in RnB? Are you expecting New Jack? :P.

12:03 AM  
Blogger Tommy said...

Between the music and the artwork, the more I hear, the more I see, the more excited I get about Ultra's new stuff!

7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home