Wednesday, December 20, 2006

No Tengo Novio

I don't know if this is just a gay male phenomena or not, but why are guys so quick to say they have a "boyfriend" or are in a "relationship"? It's almost as if gay men immediately call the first person whose name they still remember the next morning a boyfriend. Call me old fashioned but I think a meaningful relationship takes time.....ALOT of time. It isn't just something you pick up one day at Target because it's on sale. And more importantly, a relationship is an active process, not a passive one. Just having known someone for a certain period of time really means nothing if you haven't been able to utilize that time to its fullest potential. I think some people are more infatuated with the idea of having a boyfriend/partner than anything else.

I write this today because the moment I mentioned I had met JQ back in August, people around me immediately began to refer to him as my "boyfriend" or my "husband". Suddenly when I was too busy to go out because of school I was getting such responses like "Oh, well of course. You're married now". I think my friends would actually be shocked at how slow things have progressed. In fact, JQ and I even discussed this very matter the other night. We are not "boyfriends" and I am perfectly content with that. I will not deny we have established a special kind of friendship, but that's it...for now. Now don't get me wrong, I am not one of these guys that are afraid of a committment, but just like Dannii Minogue's uglier and older sister said once:



"I've got to be
Got to be certain
I've got to be so sure
I've had my share of hearts broken
And I don't wanna take that any more"


(yes I know, how gay of me to quote one of Kylie Minogue's crappiest songs ever, lol)

JQ has not had exactly the best year either. I am not about to spread his personal business online, but let's just say I can't blame him for feeling the same way. His situation is a bit more extreme, so I can understand why dating has been difficult for him.

Having said that, JQ and I are still "seeing eachother". I have a better idea as to where this situation is or isn't heading. I think that's the most important thing for me right now. Nevertheless I was just sitting here laughing to myself about some the comments I have heard people say...... and to quote another trashy song,

"I see your lips moving but I don't hear nothing
Everybody's talking like they really know something about us
But they don't know nothing about us"


In other news.....I continue to be busy as fuck. I'm on a sabbatical from everyone now, lol. My visit to Evanston Northwestern Hospital last Friday turned out to be even more informative than I had anticipated. Not only did the VP of the pharmacy department show us around and answer all of our questions about the residency program, we also had the opportunity to speak with one of the Oncology Board Certified clinical pharmacists that works in the outpatient oncology clinic. I knew there was a need for pharmacists in such ambulatory environments but this was my first chance to see for myself what really goes on. In fact, I was unaware a pharmacist could become Board Certified in a specific area. I was impressed not only by the clinic but by the hospital overall. It is without a doubt a very technologically progressive and advanced institute.

I am so happy I have two weeks off for the holidays. I will be working extra hours but then I have a 6 day stretch to do nothing. Which reminds me, I need to start making plans for New Years!

4 Comments:

Blogger Luis said...

I wish I was as fierce as you.

6:47 PM  
Blogger Sexbox said...

Fierce? how so? (not that I am denying my fierceness, lol)

6:58 PM  
Blogger musicbeing said...

I know exactly what you mean. I would see people..the most 3 times and never did I ever consider this "dating" or even having a relationship.

Until you and I discuss and say we want to belong to only each other, then that's when I can call you something. That's the same reason why I don't understand "open relationships". It is a total contradiction by all definition.

8:19 PM  
Blogger Luis said...

Oh... like fierce in every sense of the word.

I like what you said about relationships. You take a much smarter approach.

12:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home