Thursday, April 24, 2008

The Only Child Syndrome

I have been meaning to blog about this for awhile now but tonight I especially feel like venting so I suppose this is the perfect time.....


I was an only child growing up. Well, technically this isn't true because I have a half sister but she grew up in New York with her mother so she doesn't count. Anyone who is an only child can relate to what it is like to NOT have any brothers or sisters to share shit with. When you are an only child everything is about YOU! Whether you are rich or poor it doesn't matter. Being the only child puts you at the center of everything. This is what my childhood was like. I never had to share my toys or help my siblings with anything. Once I was an adult though I realized this was actually a bad thing. Since I never learned to share or think about others it was never second nature for me to do so. During my early 20's it was very hard for to take the time to think about doing favors for other people, sharing, or even acknowledging that I am not the only person in the world. I had to actually teach myself to do these things.

Now at "24", although I still have to remind myself occasionally, I am good at helping others, sharing, etc. However there comes a time when I finally get sick of always doing people favors without any gratitude in return. I have a life too and I am not waiting by the phone for someone to decide they could use my help at the last minute. I understand emergencies arise but when it is something that could have been planned better then there is no excuse. I am stressed out enough as it is.

So find someone else to fucking help you.


Thanks and have a nice day.

1 Comments:

Blogger [LaLa] Lauren said...

Hey thanks for the comment on my blog, how'd ya find me?

I was an only child growing up, too. Well sort of..my little brother was born when I was 13. Oops!

4:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home