Saturday, June 06, 2009

Time For A Change

I think Obama's campaign slogan continues to be true...and not just in political matters. I remember in the early 2000's when popular music was flooded with horrible hip-hop/rap. Every song sounded the same and you couldn't get away from Ja-Rule or Ashanti making cameos in everyone's song. About 2-3 years ago I started to notice some of the more important players of this genre begin to explore new sounds and take risks that would have been unheard of just a few years earlier.

In the world of Latin pop I was horrified as I watched the reggaeton genre choke the life out of the music industry. While I confess to liking a few songs, as a whole I think the genre was so fucking obnoxious. It was like the Latin version of the trashy gangster rap that was polluting the Top 40 radio stations for so many years. But the key reggaeton artists have finally realized too that you can't keep recycling the same generic reggaeton beat. People get sick of the same shit. So this week I picked up some of the latest "reggaeton" releases because I was actually impressed at the direction these artists have gone. The urban beats are still there, although layered on top of them is a lot of pulsating dance and electro influences. Unfortunately the same old tired video cliches exist. The excessive jewelry, flashy cars and half naked women is about as original as Paris Hilton flashing her snatch for the paparrazzi. Nevertheless I've been having a Fiesta Urbana at home this week!

Daddy Yankee - Pose



Wisin Y Yandel - Me Estas Tentando



Don Omar - Virtual Diva

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home