Monday, October 17, 2005

Arquitectura Efímera



Last night I not only had the opportunity to attend the Fangoria concert, but I actually was lucky enough to meet the legendary diva herself, Alaska. First off, the fact that Fangoria (pop-rock-electronic duo from Spain), was even here in Chicago was nothing short of a miracle. They have never released an album in the US and it was just this past year that they were able to finally return to Mexico to release their most recent album, "Arquitectura Efímera". I say return because Alaska and Nachu Canut, the two that make up Fangoria, came from the 80's group Alaska Y Dinarama (and before that "Alaksa Y Los Pegamoides"). I disocvered Fangoria's music back in 2001 when an ebay acquaintance from Spain had sent me a few singles. I immediately became hooked. So as you can imagine, yesterday was quite surreal, since I always thought I would have to travel to Madrid if I wanted to see them live.

Let me tell you though, this woman just exudes fiercenss. She did an autograph signing at Radio Arte in Pilsen (yes, my second trip to the ghetto in one month, i think hell has frozen over! lol) and even though there really was no time to make small talk I can say the woman just filled the room with energy. It was amazing. I must add she has quite the sense of humor too. i am sure if you check my Milwaukee Sister's blog, you will see the most interesting thing she signed on his DVD.

Here I am with Rob, Joe and Alaska.


As for the concert, the opening act was some singer, Sara Valenzuela. I was not to keen about seeing her, she seemed kind of like one of those boring lesbian types that strum a guitar for an hour whining about her vagina and the secret of life, but I was pleasantly surprised. She actually was quite fun and had some very Jamiraquai-esque songs. As for Fangoria though.....incredbile! The stage presence Alaska has is amazing. As usually, her partner in crime, Nacho, pretty much stayed in the background with the other musicians. There was a really cute guitar player I kept trying to take a picture of but my camera was acting up.

This was their last concert before heading back to Spain to begin work on their next album. "Arquitectura Efímera" was actually inspired by their 2002 visit to Chicago, and even Alaska said herself, the album started here and must end here. how cool :)

I hope they think of Chicago again for the next album!

2 Comments:

Blogger bomitoni said...

this was the best concert ever!!!!! i had so much fun!!! i am so glad as milwaukee sisters, i can say i shared it w/ u & rob :) ¡viva alaska!

12:15 PM  
Blogger musicbeing said...

It was fun watching u geeked...aren't u glad Joe was a loser and decided to show up 3 hours before showtime to get in line? WE WERE IN THE FRONT ROW! She was definitely alot of fun.

We'll have to do this again sometime. Alaska said she'd love to come back...

1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home