Sunday, June 04, 2006

Str-8 Acting

So I mentioned a few posts ago I had a disastrous date last weekend. I refrained from giving any details because I was not sure if I was going to give the guy another chance or not. However, I have decided he was a loser. A nice loser, but a loser nonetheless.

Ok, I have no problem with gay men whether they be big flaming queens or big butch leather daddies. I say just be comfortable with yourself and leave the bitterness in the closet. I can even overlook when guys use that "str-8 acting" term to describe themselves. Although I must say, all the straight men I come into contact on a daily basis are of the "Don Knotts" or "Ned Flanders" variety, so that description definitely carries a negative connotation for me.

Anyhoo, my date was one of these self proclaimed "masculine men", despite the fact he showed wearing pink pastel plaid shorts (we already know how I feel about pastels!) and a pink tank top. Now, mind you, I like pink (see swimsuit above), but I could never go on and on about how masculine I am while wearing my pink speedos AND keep a straight face. I felt like I was on a date with She-Ra's pal Glimmer


Like I said though, that's not a big deal, but it gets worse. Glimmer lived in the heart of Boystown (Chicago's gay hood) yet spent half of the night going on and on about how "I don't like the gay scene...bla,bla,bla....I don't fit in......bla,bla,bla....it's so not me....bla,bla,bla......i'd rather got to a bar with a mixed crowed of gay and straight guys....bla,bla,bla."

I had to bite my tongue from saying "You don't like the gay scene? Sweetie, you live in Boystown, you ARE the gay scene. In fact, you are the fucking Giant Pink Gay Scene Mascot!"

I hate when people have to stress how "alternative" they are. Anyone that has to go out of their way to show you how different they are, are just as bad the mindless sheep that follow whatever trend is popular at the moment. I say just be yourself. Doing otherwise just makes one look pretentious and having serious identity issues.

And finally, may I point out how bizarre it is that this guy is one second telling me how he wants to meet guys but in the next sentence he is saying how he prefers to be in mostly straight environments. Um, common sense would say that you are less likely to meet a gay guy in a "mixed" bar than an "all gay" bar. But then again, he did mention his bad habit of falling for straight guys. I guess that explains a lot!

Someone cancel my subscription, I don't want anymore issues!

4 Comments:

Blogger equippedtofascinate said...

A lesson for everyone reading. Wearing a pink shirt is fine, but never, ever wear pink pants/shorts with it.

6:56 PM  
Blogger MatadorMexicano said...

he showed up wearing that and you didnt throw him out your window?!?!!?

i think youre the real bad guy in this scenerio. ;)

1:34 AM  
Blogger Jesus Christ- Superstar said...

I love She-Ra!

3:00 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

Ditto on the "straight acting" thing. Why do we concede the argument that straight acting=masculine and gay acting=feminine? I know this is an old horse to beat on, but am I less gay because my natural demeanor is more masculine? It's not masculinity or femininity that makes me gay. As the post before this says, it's who I want to have sex with.

Or to put it another way, if you were to define the difference between gay and straight, gay=men having sex with men (or women with women) and straight=men having sex with women. Therefore, "straight acting" would be a man having sex with a woman. I'm fairly masculine, but I sure as hell ain't straight acting!

Climbing down off my soap box again....

2:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home