Wednesday, September 06, 2006

"Ya'll gotta 99 cent menu up in herre?"

You can take the boy out of the ghetto but you can't always take the ghetto out of the boy. As hard as it may be to believe, I did not grow up in an affluent, wealthy, white suburban neighborhood. In fact this couldn't be further from the truth. I grew up on Milwaukee's ghetto hispanic south side. Government cheese, low income housing, gang warfare, food stamps, welfare, and any other unpleasant thing that can be associated with poverty is what I dealt with on a daily basis. Nevertheless, I always say "it ain't where you're from it's where you're at", so I tend not to think too much about my youth. However, my lack of a "fine and cultured" upbringing sometimes comes back to haunt me even almost 10 years later.

On Labor Day I was ready to spend a night alone watching my Rebelde DVD's. To my surprise JQ called me up and told me to put on something nice because we were going to go somewhere classy. I thought JQ was going to be with his family that day so I didn't have much time to quick come up with an outfit. Luckily I have a fierce wardrobe and successfully dressed to impress. To make a long story short we went to this swanky restaurant downtown, Sushi Samba, that serves Japanese-Brazilian-Peruvian cuisine. Um yeah, I felt a bit out of place. I almost knocked over a wine rack, got startled by the little old lady handing out paper towels in the bathroom, and felt like a complete idiot trying to order food since I couldn't pronounce anything. Oh, and let's not even talk about the prices. I think I need to explain to JQ that I am poor now and $100 meals are NOT in my budget. I even joked with him and said "I am not used to going to a restaurant that doesn't offer a value menu!". He laughed but I suppose it was good to step out of my "Comfort Zone" for one night. In fact, I probably need to step out of my comfort zone a little more often.

11 Comments:

Blogger MatadorMexicano said...

que naco! osea, yo gasto 100 dollares en las servilletas donde voy a comer!

it doesnt matter what you do when your at a fancy restaraunt, because yo money is worth the same as the spoiled clientel that goes there all the time. dont be ashamed!

11:01 PM  
Blogger Sexbox said...

Gurfren, I be liking the way yous be thinkin!

11:22 PM  
Blogger musicbeing said...

I'm sure HE payed for this date right??

Don't feel bad. U can't help being who u are...but u know, feel fortunate that you have that background. It makes u appreciate the little things in life that are meaningless for others but make us happy. Like a 99 cent value menu :P

1:40 AM  
Blogger Sexbox said...

Gurrrl, I'm a independent woamn just like Beyondshit. We split that bill! Which is why I need to pick the restaurant next time. I think he sais he like's Taco Bell so I am set! lol

11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

can you please define NACO for me...and how is it pronounced?...and when are you going to post pics of yourself shirtless....mmmm.....que sessy!

1:18 PM  
Blogger musicbeing said...

You're an independent woman, until u start getting real good dick, then you'll be saying "let me cater 2 u". Just like Beyondshit. :P

NACO=derogatory term for an unrefined person usually from a poor neighborhood. In Mexico, this term has taken on a racial definition, often used by white mexicans to refer to darker ones.

2:21 PM  
Blogger musicbeing said...

Oh, and the word is pronounded (Knock-Oh)..just like a taco

2:22 PM  
Blogger Sexbox said...

LOL @ at the "naco lesson"

6:08 PM  
Blogger MatadorMexicano said...

lmao!i love Knock-oh! hahahaha!!

rob... have i told uyou how much i love your comments?!

9:35 PM  
Blogger Sexbox said...

Oh, and for the shirtless pics, I have no problem posting such things assuming they are relevant to my post. My post can be quite random so who knows.... Thanks for the comment Mr. Gringo in Cali!

10:55 PM  
Blogger Social Drinking y Su Sonido Chikinasty said...

Mas hombres desnudos mas mas.

1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home