Sunday, March 25, 2007

JP Calderon

I suppose today's post could be classified as "beefaroni" but there really is another reason why I am blogging about former "Survivor" contestant, JP Calderon.




Yes, this man is absolutely gorgeous. He caught my attention a few months ago when he appeared on the cover of my favorite fag mag, Instinct and it was actually what he said in his interview that probably stuck in my mind more than his gorgeous face and chiseled body.



If you click on the link above you can read a very abbreviated interview. I am too lazy too pull out all of my favorite quotes but basically his interview was about his coming out at age 31. Yeah I know, how boring, another "coming out story". In the gay media a cute cover boy is a dime a dozen. No one rarely gives a shit what these guys actually have to say. Well, apparently I wasn't the only one who had been touched by his story. Although it was nothing remarkable in anyway, shape or form, JP conveyed a real sense of self acceptance. Even in the 2 page interview it was evident that this was a gay man who was finally 100% confortable with who he is as a person and instead of being apprehensive towards gay culture and labeling himself as a "straight acting gay" he actually seemed to be embracing all of the stereotypes, good and bad, that are often associated with being gay. I guess what touched me was the fact he was so excited to finally be who he was inside and he loved the fact that he was finally able to love himself. He was taking all of those years of repression and turing it into something positive.

Ok, I know that sounds like every other coming out story but I guess you have to read the article to really appreciate it. I got my latest issue of Instinct yesterday and apparently the response to JP's interview was overwhelming and unlike anything the editor had ever seen. JP even wrote a letter thanking everyone for their kind words and once again really left a mark with his words:

The whole JP Calderon story really got me thinking though about how few people in this world are truly comfortable in their own skin and let that positive energy radiate outwards for everyone else to see. I will admit that when I was younger I had my own insecurities and instead of dealing directly with the cause of the problem I would lash out at others. By making fun of someone else I could for one second forget about what was really bothering me. Unfortunately I think it is all too common, and easy, for us to deal with our problems and insecurities by hurting others. I think now that I am older and hopefully a bit more wiser I know longer do this. Do I still have insecurities or believe there are things about my character I could improve? Most definitely. The thing is now I do not let the negative energy overcome me. I am confortable with who I am and I know I am capable of channeling whatever issues I may have in a positive manner. It saddens me to say though I have met many people in my life who aren't able to do this. Their solution still lies in hurting others to make themselves feel better. I guess misery will always love company. Now, I am not saying I haven't met people in my life that were the complete opposite. I can think of several people right off the top of my head that have such an amazing sense of self worth and self acceptance that they can't help but to bring a smile to people's faces wherever they go. They truly are special and I hope they realize this.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sexbox said...

I don't think you can generalize one group of people like that. Rupaul would fall into the category you described. He/she is truly a fabulous person and an inspiration to all. But most of those super bitchy and fake ones that infest Circuit, Berlin and other hot spots on Halsted are just disturbing. I feel so sorry for them because all the makeup and plastic surgery in the world can't hide how miserable they are inside.

4:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If it worth anything Edward, you have always been one of those people to me. You have a very unique outlook on life and have the ability to empathize with people and bring a smile out of any situation. I have seen you deal with some of the shittiest people in the shittiest situations and still come out as happy as a clam (but less fishy-smelling that a clam). Maybe Instict Magazine should do an article about you!

7:32 PM  
Blogger Sexbox said...

Oh I have had my dark moments, trust me. I just think now I am old enough to know better.


Maybe getting old isn't that bad after all!

8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home