Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Kylie Minogue: Pop Princess.



While she will never compare to Dannii, I must say that I am ecstatic to be seeing Kylie Minogue in concert in less than 24 hours. This is her first tour of the US and I am so happy I am still here in Chicago to witness this! In honor of the Pop Princess's arrival, I would like to share with you my Top 5 Favorite Kylie songs.....in no particular order.


On A Night Like This



This song represents everything I love about Kylie. Sexy yet always classy and dignified. I remember seeing this video get played in a clothing store (Gadzooks) about a year before Kylie made her comeback in the USA with "Can't Get You Out Of My Head". At the time I was unaware Kylie had continued to be popular overseas so I was surprised to see how good "On A Night Like This" was!

Can't Get You Out Of My Head



Not much needs to be said about this. The song is iconic. The video is iconic. Kylie catapulted herself back into the international spotlight after having spent most of the 90's being a phenomenom in the UK and Australia. She even managed to conquer the US market that had all but forgotten about her since 1988's "Locomotion"!

Impossible Princess



Ok, so I cheated here. This is actually her 1998 album that would become a fan favorite despite it being her lowest selling album of her career. I could write paragraphs about the story and controversy surrounding this release but to make a long story short, this was Kylie's "coming of age" album. Full of introspective lyrics and a mixed bad of eclectic sounds, "impossible Princess" was to Kylie what "Ray of Light" was to Madonna. The Japanese version with the bonus track "Tears" is a must!

The One



This wasn't one of Kylie's bigger singles, but it was taken from her last studio album and given a special remix by the "it" remixers of the moment, The Freemasons. Melodic, sweet, classy, fun. Everything there is to like about a Kylie song!

Better The Devil You Know



Old school Kylie at its best! How this was not a hit in the US back in 1990 is beyond me. This isn't exactly a feminist's anthem ("I'll forgive and forget if you say you'll never go") but who cares. Kylie looks so damn cute doing the Running Man.

Wow



Wow indeed. After several years of disappointing me with uninspired singles, Kylie returned with a single that is easily one of my favorites of all time. It's is such a happy song! The video was a bit tragic but this live performance is a little more watchable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home