Monday, October 02, 2006

Come Back Divas

Now that I no longer work full time I have to REALLY be careful with my money. I am a broke bitch now so I have even had to cut back on my music purchases. Long gone are the days when I would buy 12 cd's at Virgin or Tower. However, I don't think I should deny myself the occasional CD purchase so I buy one CD every month. For October I have purchased the new album by Janet Jackson



I have been a Janet fan for years. It has been very sad though to see her music really deteriorate over the years. Janet used to be such an innovative artist but with the new millenium her music starting to go down the shitter. Janet isn't alone. Several aging female pop divas have watched their popularity decline only to desperately reinvent themselves. Mariah Carey tried to comeback with her snooze fest album, "Charmbracelet", but was still unable to improve her public image (hence the failed tour that followed). Mariah wised up though and realized her fans wanted some Rnb/Hip-hop lite songs......and it worked. Even the invincible Madonna experienced a slump. She was a bit smarter than Mimi though and gave her fans what they wanted right away.......a dance album and a tour to go with! That was definitely a shrewd decision on her part considering how well both the album and tour did.

Now it's Janet's turn. Unfortunately she hasn't learned anything from the fallen divas before her. I will admit there are definitely some great moments on "20 Y.O." yet one cannot help but feel that many of the tracks are just the usual generic crap that any Ciara/Cassie/Rihanna could shit out. The marketing behind this album has been to focus on how much Janet has accomplished since she released "Control" in 1986. How unbelievably pathetic. It's almost as if she hopes her fans don't notice how crappy she has become by reminding us of how good her music USED to be. Poor Janet. This album is going to flop big time. The first single has flopped everywhere outside of the US, and in the US it hasn't even gone Top 20. Janet should have done what Mimi and Madge did........gave the fans what the wanted and not try to trick us with some clever promotional campaign.


But yeah, the album isn't that bad. I just tend to expect a little more from Miss Jackson. I guess I should be thankful just becasue there are no obnoxious songs about her pussy this time.


Oh, and about my previous post....thanks for the comments and the phone calls. I am fine. I have some issues to deal with but it's not the end of the world. I am not perfect and a very good friend of mine pointed out that no one is perfect. It's such a simple observation yet I was unable to figure that out for myself.

6 Comments:

Blogger MatadorMexicano said...

yeah..... maybe you should have waited for a better albumn? especially since FANGORIAS COMES OUT THIS MONTH!!!! hahahaha... janet is soo 1995!

3:20 AM  
Blogger Sexbox said...

Oh shit.....I forgot about Fangoria. I guess I will have to make my November purchase a few weeks early, lol.

10:00 AM  
Blogger bomitoni said...

the least janet could have done was release a cool video and it would cancel out the crappy song (call on me). i think the last video she did that i actually liked was "don't know what you got til it's gone" or whatever the hell it's called.

10:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor Janet. :(

5:51 PM  
Blogger musicbeing said...

Yeah..I think the marketing behing JAnet is even more pathetic than Mariah. Mariah had the "starting over" approach with her "Emancipation" and JAnet, like you said, is trying to use the "I'm a legend" approach. Hello...did she not learn from her older brother Michael when he tried to come back using THE EXACT SAME TOOL in 1995 with History? It didn't work, it makes u look desperate.

10:58 PM  
Blogger Tommy said...

Yeah I feel the same way about Janet's more recent stuff.. I really discovered Janet with both "Control" and "Velvet Rope," but after enduring the crap that was "All For You," I pretty much figured she'd already past her creative peak..

In any case, I actually enjoy her new album too, much more then her last two anyway. Not as ambitious or original as her earlier stuff, but IMO, it's probably the best thing she's put out in the last nine or so years..

10:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home