Sunday, September 02, 2007

Bravo!

With Labor Day Weekend upon us, the Summer of 2007 has finally come to an end. I can honestly say this summer was probably the most interesting I have ever had. I know I joke about being a "gay Chicago socialite", but seriously, I remember back in Spring when I realized I needed to find a healthy balance between work, school and my social life. I had neglected my social life for so long as I had put so much time and effort into school and work. Well, now I can look back at these past few months and definitely say I accomplished my goal. I reemerged on the scene so quickly and effortlessly that I have had people ask me "Where did you come from? Did you just move to Chicago?". I always laugh and explain that I have been here for 5 years but I sort of fell off the radar for awhile.

So here I am and now I ask myself is there is anything I have learned? Do I have any knowledge or insight I can share? Hmmmm...not really. The gay scene (well, I am sure this applies really to any social setting) is just as shallow, superficial, and vacuous as one might imagine. However, this is not necessarily a bad thing. I think we all need a bit of frivolity in our lives. The thing is to always be able to distinguish between what's really important in our lives and what's a mere distraction from the monotony of those important things. I found a nice equilibrium between the two this summer and I am happy. I am also happy that the summer is indeed over. I am ready to refocus my energy on my studies. Classes resume this Tuesday and I am excited about my second year at Midwestern. I don't anticipate relinquishing my socialite crown anytime soon, especially since I am a month away from moving back to the "Emerald City". However, I won't be drinking and partying as much as I have been the past four months.

Besides all of the partying, this summer also allowed me to meet all sorts of new people (or in some cases rekindle old friendships). The array of colorful, quirky and amazing personalities I have met has been wonderful. There is no doubt that 90% of these acquaintances are just as superficial and ephemeral as the gay scene in which I met them. Nevertheless, without them I wouldn't have met the other 10%: a handful of individuals that have proven themselves to be people I want to keep around in my life for some time to come.

So if this summer had been a play I would be applauding and screaming "Bravo!". That isn't why I titled my post "Bravo" though. Bravo was the name of the cute tapas bar I went to on Saturday in Wicker Park. Now, I hate tapas, so needless to say it wasn't my idea to go there. Luckily I loved the atmoshpere and I loved the mojitos and chocolate mousse! Bravo was the end to a 48 hour non-stop marathon of activities that started Thursday involving the beach, the wet boxer contest at Roscoe's (how did I get talked into that one?), Circuit with Private Dancer, a "date" at a Thai restaurant, an all nighter with a friend on Halsted (and then finding myself help that same friend move the next day very unexpectedly), a pedicure, more Thai food and finally a shopping spree at TJ Maxx (yes, I succumbed to a welfare store!).

I was exhausted after all of that but luckily I managed to look somewhat presentable at Bravo. Fuck, we all looked fierce actually!

2 Comments:

Blogger Donnie v2.0 said...

Fierce, indeed!

12:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've read your blog a few times and I never noticed you have a receding hairline! I'm glad you're not self conscious about it, as most people with that grow their hair out to cover it up like Enrique Iglesias.

Props to ya!

12:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home