Tuesday, July 17, 2007

New York Sicko

I feel like I just got back from Toronto and I am about to leave again for New York. Oh wait, I feel that way because I DID just get back and will be leaving again in two days, lol. As excited as I am to visit the Big Apple for the second time now I sort of wish I wasn't going. A certain fierce blogger friend of mine left a comment for me awhile back when I was initially discussing my pending vacation plans.

"When life's a vacation, you don't really need a vacation..."

You know, I didn't understand what he meant at first but now I do. I have been having such a good time in Chicago this summer that I really feel like I will be missing out on something while I am away. I guess vacations are only fun when that need to get away from a shitty daily routine can no longer be ignored. I also wish I was staying in Chicago because I just met a hot guy that I would rather spend some time with! LOL

I will admit that in real life, as well on my blog, I have been very vague as to what my dating life has been like since JQ (aka Private Dancer). Well, despite all that happened with him I can honestly say that chapter in my life did eventually have a happy ending.....or should I say a new beginning? Anyhoo, I forget sometimes how vague I can be about these things so I guess it's time for me to be a little more specific as to what my love life has been like these past few months. To be quite honest I really haven't been seriously dating anyone. There was my Brazilian hottie, Xica. We dated for awhile until he moved back to the east coast. I knew this would happen which is why I never really saw any potential with him. We have kept in touch though and hopefully I will see him when I go to NYC. After Xica there were a few random hook ups. The Abercrombie & Fitch hottie was definitely the most memorable. Yum! More recently though I have met a new guy....RC. Ironically he knows Private Dancer which is kind of how we met one night at a bar. However, it wasn't until I messaged RC on My Space that I get the ball rolling. That was the week before Pride so it took a few phone calls before we actually found time to meet up for lunch. Since then we have gone out two more times. I think for the most part I am a very good judge of character (I am also very dismissive when it comes to freaks!) so if a guy is good enough for a third date chances are he will be sticking around for awhile. Only time will tell I suppose!

Anyhoo, I mention RC because we went to see Michael Moore's latest film Sicko. This film covers the good, the bad and the ugly of our country's health system and the 50 million men, women and children who are uninsured. First of all I must say that I wasn't sure if I wanted to see this movie. I mean, it isn't exactly a romantic film you want to see with a hot guy. Second of all I am not a Michael Moore fan nor have I seen his other films. However the film did leave quite an impression on me. As a health care worker I can honestly say the film didn't exaggerate simply for shock value. If anything there were so many shady and corrupt things about our health system that he didn't discuss. The film also spent a great deal looking at the government funded health care systems of Canada, France, the United Kingdom, and Cuba. The take home message seemed to be if all of these other countries can make it a priority to provide health care for EVERYONE and not just those who can afford it, why can't the wealthiest nation on the planet do the same? I didn't know what to think when he seemed to suggest "we" (as in the American people) are selfish and don't care about the poor and whether or not they live or die. I don't think the general public feels this way. The fact that a national health system doesn't exist in the US has more to do with our misguided government.....the same government that seems to have also instilled the idea that government funded health care automatically equates to low quality health care. I suppose this would be the case without proper funding.

Well, I don't see a universal health care system happening anytime soon in the US. Poor people who can't afford health care will continue to do without it. Who cares really, poor people don't matter, right? People like me who are fortunate enough to have private health insurance will continue to live with the false sense of security that the insurance company will be there for me even during a serious health crisis like cancer..........until I realize those co-pays and deductibles easily add up to more than my annual income. Then there are people like Paris Hilton. They are the lucky ones. They have no false sense of security nor do they have to worry about not being able to afford quality care even during their sickest of times. And really, why should they have to pay more in taxes to cover the health costs of others. They have better things to do like write their fans letters from jail while serving time for DUI's.

Lucky them.

2 Comments:

Blogger Luis said...

Yay! I got a mention!

10:32 PM  
Blogger musicbeing said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home